Tuesday, April 21, 2015

DC/Virginia Trip, Terrible Twos, It's a Girl!, and Picture Overload

Spring has come and it's definitely what this mama needs...sunshine! I feel like I missed a lot of it last year because of my back, so being able to come out of the cave and get some Vitamin D has made life a little happier. 
Kobe got his first buzz cut. On accident. I had trimmed it a couple times before and it looked decent, however, this time I went to trim and then fade the back, the boy moved, the boy's hair got nicked, the mom went to fix it later and decided it was just all coming off! Luckily he had a cute head underneath!
Ella joined us on a trip over to Seattle. I think they enjoyed each other's company in the back seat.
We aren't consistent with potty training, but he obviously is picking something up because he started repeating what we do with him, with his stuffed animals.
Sisters-in-law :)
Lane's cousin, Beth and Tyler got married in Hawaii in February and we were able to go to their cute Luau reception here in Wenatchee. Congrats to the Barbie and Ken couple!
Kobe is really into wearing hats, and wearing them backwards. Most of the time when we go to leave the house he has to run and grab his hat.
So far we have had one pee and one poo in the potty! He definitely knows the process but doesn't want to. I think he's getting close though. He tells us when he needs a new diaper, and he has two pooping spots in the house (behind the couch, and behind the blinds of the sliding glass door). I am glad he at least has an idea of what to do, and after our family reunion in July I would like to pull the diapers and go full force so it's mostly out of the way when baby gets here. 
We were able to visit our good friends Brady and Leah Harker in Virginia and Washington DC in 2012 when I graduated from college, right before I got pregnant. They had two kids the last time we went, added one more and we added Kobe, and we were able to arrange to make another trip before we have to start buying Kobe a plane ticket. We went for a week over Easter. It was such a fun trip and as soon as we saw them, I felt like we were never separated! It sucks that they live so far away because they're a couple that we both get along with really well and we love those kids of theirs. Kobe got sick the night before we flew over there so he turned into booger mode, reverted to hitting again, made for a few sleepless nights and got me sick, but we were still able to enjoy our time there and create more wonderful memories with them. 

We found this place off Diners, Drive ins and Dives called Ben's Chili Bowl last time we went there and we had to go there again, for sure!
We did most of the monument/touristy stuff last time we went as well so we had a shorter list this time, plus it was a little slower pace getting around with 4 kids, rather than 2. We went to Mount Vernon, Pres. George Washington's house. That was pretty neat to see, and I think we would have spent a little more time there had it not been raining. Overall the weather was great while we were over there though.
Lots of traffic...Kobe got sick of it.
We did a boat tour on the Potomic River; which went right along where all the main monuments are. Cold but fun.
Although Kobe had a hitting problem with their kids, the other times he wasn't hitting he had fun playing with them. May (age 3) stood up for herself after a while.
Easter Sunday we had a little egg hunt from the Easter Bunny around the house and then we drove over to Williamsburg to stay the night and go to Busch Gardens the next day. We hit up some shopping outlets and stayed in a super fancy (not) hotel with conjoined rooms. We had a Jacuzzi "suite" so all the kiddos, plus Lane took a very bubbly bubble bath that ended up being the highlight of their day! Busch Gardens was awesome. The weather was perfect. Took a couple hours for everyone to say they enjoyed it (waiting in lines with screaming kids, losing children in the Dragon nightmare land), but we got the hang of it once kids got little naps and the adults (minus the preggo) took turns babysitting and riding roller coasters. It was was a good time!
Car rides were an adventure with 4 kids and 4 adults.
Just for memories' sake-- Lane was sitting with Leo and May and they were touching his face and saying things like, "Why do you have hair in your nose?" and "Why do you have hair in your ears?" It was pretty funny. Hey, I love my hairy man.
Kobe started doing puppy dog kisses that have carried on since this when he gets silly.
Although we were sad to say goodbye again to our dear friends, we were anxious to get home to find out the gender of this baby! Lane and I went to the ultrasound the next morning. We let the tech know that we wanted to know the gender. I LOVE those first ultrasounds, seeing the tiny little hands and feet moving around, the baby's heart beating away, and even the little tongue this time. She attempted at one point to see the gender but the baby wasn't cooperating, and she did all her measurements, and then wiped off my belly and started giving her closing spiel. I started thinking either she saw the gender and was going to announce it randomly before we left, or we just weren't able to find out this time because the baby never revealed. She started saying a sentence where she usually either says, "your baby" or the gender, and she stopped herself and said, "OH! We never got the gender!" Lane and I started kind of laughing in relief because we both had the same thoughts going through our heads. She put some more gel on my belly, went to one spot and quickly said, "This is a girl!" I'm not going to lie, I was a little shocked. I have been feeling this whole time like it was a girl because this pregnancy has been so different than with Kobe, but I was mentally preparing myself for her to say boy I think. I immediately felt giddy and tears came to my eyes. Lane grabbed my hand and we just sat/laid their smiling. We are so thrilled to be having a baby girl join our family! Life will sure be different with some more estrogen in our home but I can't wait! I get to have my pedicure and chic flick dates. 
Her name will be Ella Leona Larson. Ella is Lane's grandmother, whom is still alive and we get to see her often. Leona is my grandmother who passed away a couple years before Lane and I got married. He had never met her but we each have so many great memories of these two amazing women and are very happy to name our daughter after them. We're bringing those "old fashioned" names back with this little gal who will be rockin' Jordans and surfing outfits like her big brother. (That's weird to say still that Kobe will be a big brother!)
Kobe is officially two. He decided it while we were on vacation. I think of him as my little Sour Patch Kid-- "First they're sour, then they're sweet." He has mastered the word, "NO!" and uses it in different tones, finger points, bratty faces, etc. He more than often times has no reason for using the word. When he's not throwing his tantrums or giving 'tude, he is seriously the sweetest, silliest kid on the planet. We grow more and more obsessed with him every day. He's all we can talk about sometimes. We point out every little thing he does or says. This will be a huge adjustment for him, and frankly us too, to have our attention be shared with another little human. 
He takes after me and LOVES mac-n-cheese. He could eat it every day. He requests "en-chiz" basically every day, so he definitely got it on his birthday.
He loves "cocaine" (ice cream)
...and "cuh-cakes"
...and "Cars"
...and bringing a chair over to the counter to see what we're doing
...and "Raurel"
We had hot dogs for his little family birthday party and had some extras so we brought them for his birthday treats to nursery the next day, along with apples and popcorn. Successful treats, and since the kids were fed they were all ready to go home and take naps.
Kobe is starting to develop more creativity and an imagination. He is starting to pretend, and mimic things we do to him with his toys. He loves kissing his "kunkies" (monkeys), and other stuffed animals, sometimes his cars and trucks. 
At his two year checkup he weighed in at 26 lbs and measured at 34.25" tall. I don't think the measurements were completely accurate because he was not standing totally straight, and he was trying to step off the scale. He's about average for his measurements, except his head is small. He gets that from his Epop and his mama :)
He loves exploring and mimicking things we do, such as using my makeup brush and eating my eye shadows. I don't let him explore that area much, though.
He is just a silly boy. He is his own little human.

Oh, and if you ask him what his name is he'll say, "Buddy." We, especially Lane, always call him that.
Absolutely loves his daddy.
He either kisses or hits the baby... I captured the sweet part.
https://www.facebook.com/christinepotterphotography?fref=ts 
My friend is starting to build her own portfolio and asked to take Kobe out for some two-year old pictures. She did such an amazing job with him! I love how they turned out and that she captured some of his personality. Gosh, he is just such a beautiful kid. I can't handle it!
And those lashes.
Love that kid. 

And I love baby Ella. I have been told so many times how your body grows quicker and bigger the second round of pregnancy but my, oh my. I can't believe how much she sticks out compared to Kobe. He sat right on my tailbone and she is, I feel, standing straight out on the middle of my spine. Hopefully my poor back can handle 4 more months of this. I don't see how I have 4 more months of growing because I feel like right now I am how big I was at 32 weeks with Kobe. My body hurrrrrts. And this girl is sharing those extra hormones. I am such a grump, and emotional. I know I'm not huge, but for me I am. There's a reason God makes babies so cute... helps you forget why you go through what you do to have bring them into this world. I do love feeling her move around in there. I think I'll be feeling her in my ribs very shortly, though! Here's to 18 more weeks (hopefully less)! 

No comments: