Friday, April 12, 2013

Kobe Dale Larson: Birth Story

I'm recording this as I have the most recent and detailed memories. I don't think I could forget this amazing experience, but I might as well document it while I can.
 
On Tuesday (4/9) I went on a 2.5mile walk with a fellow pregnant friend. I felt like he dropped pretty low but went about my day. Sunnie came over that evening to hang out and eat dinner. We made some cabbage salsa and guacamole and then basically just talked about Kobe coming and how I was so ready. My contractions felt stronger to me and I could tell they were different. I considered the idea that it might happen that night but I don't think I wanted to get my hopes up so I shrugged off that idea. So I went to bed around 11pm, and it usually takes me a while to fall asleep (almost always after Lane falls asleep and I read for a bit), but I guess I fell asleep with the TV on. I woke up at 12:30am because I felt a leak so I checked myself and got up to pee...it was more than just a pee/regular leak! I went to change my underwear and wake Lane up and heard a splash on the floor right as I was saying "I'm pretty sure my water just broke..." Lane had taken a sleeping pill and had just fallen asleep; what a good night to take a sleeping pill! I just stood there and kind of nervously laughed because my bag was packed and I felt ready but I almost wanted to wait until the morning when it was actually happening. I had my mental list of things to grab so I started grabbing them, and Lane said, "I thought it would be more exciting than this. I guess we should go to the hospital." So after soaking through two pads, I got changed and we grabbed the bag and car seat and were on our way. Right when we got out of the car at the hospital my pants soaked up. I thought my water broke enough at the house but boy was I wrong! So much for putting on clean and dry clothes. So I waddled up to the entrance and we got checked in!
By 1:00am I was hooked up to an IV and monitors; I would have passed out after glancing at it if the nurse didn't give me oxygen (I know, you're thinking "and you survived having a baby?"). It's pathetic but I have no control when I see needles/blood. Anyway, I was having contractions, but they weren't consistent so the nurse unhooked me and had us walking laps down the halls and try the birthing ball. My contractions started to get a little more painful but still weren't consistent, so at about 6:00am my doctor came in and checked my cervix. I was dilated 3cm and he wanted to speed up my contractions. So they gave me some pitocin and the first of my pain meds and things sped and got intense right away! I started to get some back labor and my contractions started to intensify so I tried standing by the bedside. I was allowed 4 doses of the pain meds and asked for the epidural by about 8:30am after the 2nd dose quickly wore off. I had Lane putting pressure on my back but all I could really do was cry and cuss and squeeze the crap out of my pillows. Dr. Gatlin came back in to make sure I was dilated enough, and I was at a 4 or 5 so they ordered the epidural and said the anesthesiologist was in with another patient so they were just going to give me my 3rd dose of pain meds (those were worthless). Luckily the on-call anesthesiologist came in within 15minutes and got things going. I was clearly in pain because all the nurses that were starting to come in would look at me with that complete sympathetic look as if to say "ohh honey...poor thing!" The epidural spiel seemed to last forever as I was holding on to the side of the bed for dear life through each contraction. FINALLY they had me sit at the edge of the bed, curl my spine and keep my hands on my lap. It was so hard to sit still during those contractions, but it was so successful! That thing kicked in so quick and I was instantly smiling again! My sister just had her baby a few weeks ago and as I recall, right after she got her epidural she texted me and said "epidurals are heaven sent." I could not explain it better myself.
 
Sunnie and Vicki showed up at little after 9am...it was good timing because I wouldn't have allowed them in 20minutes earlier!
Lane started to get silly and bored so he was playing doctor and showing me the dilation chart, using terms like "softball" and "baseball."
I decided I wanted Sunnie to stay in to take pictures. My plan was just to have Lane only, but as Sunnie sat there with her camera, I decided I wanted her in there to document what we couldn't, so I asked her if she would be okay with staying and she sounded more than willing. The nurse brought in what they were calling "the peanut" which was basically an exercise ball shaped like a peanut. She explained that they just started using it with a few women and every time it sped up the dilating. So she stuck it between my legs and had me laying on my side, and had me switch sides after a half hour. I went up to a 7 pretty quickly! So I just kept laying there switching sides and I noticed they were setting up all the blue delivery stuff in the corner. That's when I felt like it was happening soon. I started to feel my contractions again, which was just a ton of pressure in my butt so I knew I was getting close. Dr. Gatlin came and checked me again around 12pm and said it was about that time to push. I had a couple nurses come in and start to prep me and explain how and when to push. At about 12:30 I had Lane standing beside me, a nurse on the other, one at the foot and I thought the nurse was still just explaining things to me but all of the sudden she said, "okay push girl!" Sunnie came to my side. I had Lane holding one leg, a nurse on the other, the same one at my feet, and I just pushed away. My epidural wore off enough so that I could feel my contractions, so I knew when to push every other time before the nurses told me to. I also felt myself pooping pretty much the whole time. I kept laughing and commenting on it. I don't think I would have been laughing without the epidural, but Lane and Sunnie were sure troopers! I pushed for about an hour, but to me it felt like 20minutes. Dr. Gatlin came in and out to make sure everything was going well and then when his head showed enough he stayed and talked me through the rest. The umbilical cord was wrapped around Kobe's wrist so I tore as they were trying to get that taken care of. That's when I felt pain. I knew he was close and I started to cry. I pushed with everything I had. I felt him "squirt" out and I just started balling. I was trying to look over my tummy to see him and I just wanted to reach out and grab him. Lane cut the cord and as they wiped him off they set him by my chest. I couldn't believe he was here- that he came out of me! There are no words to describe the joy I felt for this little miracle in my hands. He was a perfect little cone head with baseball mitt hands, just staring at me. I just started laughing and crying and could not look away from him. He only cried a little when they first got him out, but when he was on my skin he was just staring. I have never seen such a calm, fresh newborn! I was completely unaware of the rest of the delivery and cleanup as all I could do was stare at my little monkey as he stared back at us.
Kobe Dale Larson was born at 1:36pm on April 10th, weighing 7lbs 5oz, 22inches long.
He is a miniature Lane.
 Daddy got to give him his first bath.
About 10 minutes after he was born one of the nurses said "Well Jannica, he is trying to suck so I think he's ready to try nursing if you are." I just looked at her in shock and said, "Oookay. I guess bring him over." He latched right away! I can't believe how easy he's been. He is still feeding well and is just such a laid back baby. I know things may change, but we have been so incredibly blessed with this little boy. He is my definition of perfect.
 
And Sunnie is the definition of a true best friend.
Dr. Gatlin is an awesome OB!
Loves his cousins Tobie and Faith. Can't wait to meet Reagan and Raeborn Tate (sp?)!
Loves his great Granny Ella.
That's all for now!
 
**Lane has amazed me with how supportive he was throughout my whole pregnancy; cooking and cleaning, massaging. He was so awesome at the hospital; checking on things for me (i.e. my bleeding/pooping...I mean, who does that so calmly with a face that shows no signs of being completely disgusted?), grabbing the nurses for me, rubbing/massaging. And then with Kobe...he is such a good dad! I will write more about life at home later, but I just had to note how great Lane has been. He is my definition of a perfect husband.
Photobucket

9 comments:

Eric and Tammy Mitchell said...

Ok you got me, I'm crying

Lee&Michelle said...

Your story made me tear up! so happy for you guys. having a baby is just pure joy :) so glad everything went so well too! I don't know why it takes those epidural guys so long to show up but epidurals are pure heaven for sure! congrats!

Kelly said...

congrats Jannica and Lane...he is a doll.

Aaron & Katelyn said...

some of those pictures of the 3 of you just had me balling. what a beautiful moment that you will have frozen in time forever! congratulations again he is pure perfection

The Potter Family said...

I couldn't help but cry during the pictures! So touching, and it brings back my own memories of those precious and life changing moments! So proud of you and so excited for you!!

The Potter Family said...

Reading the other comments....guess I'm not the only one who got emotional! ;)

The Risdons said...

Such a special time. Im glad Sunnie could be there. Photographing Lyssa's birth was so amazing. I hope Kobe continues to be an easy baby.

J.R. Koontz said...

okay, Jannica that was an amazing story, and I too felt a little tear(pretty weird for the gal who has to use water droplets from a water glass throughout her marriage so as to not look cold hearted to her fountain of a husband) You all are a beautiful family . God has truly blessed you all. We are glad to get to know you all through our daughter , whom I know reciprocates your feelings! And feels so blessed to have been able to be a part of your birth story. As well as getting to be such close friends through your college experience. For Sunnie not having any sisters I know she treasures your relationship. Im anticipating enjoying more of these stories and getting to know you all more as your quiver gets full.

Matthew and Katherine Kerr said...

Congrats, and welcome to the world Kobe! Thanks for sharing your birth story. I enjoyed reading it! Being a mom is the best!