August ended with some more time out on the water, finishing softball, playing outside until 8:30pm and Kobe's first father-son camping trip. We stayed busy, got lots of sun, and lots of family time. Ella became proficient in walking pretty quick!
September came quickly, and Kobe (and I) started "Pre-K" or "Joy school" with a group of kids and moms from church. We trade off teaching each week, twice a week. Kobe loves school and the group of kids in his class. It was great that we got invited to do it with this group of moms/kids because our ward boundaries split and we ended up in the ward, so it helped us to get to know them before moving.
Kobe gave me lots of snuggles to calm my nerves prior to surgery.
We spent a long weekend in Seattle again, with friends and games. We went to a Mariner's game with Ranzy and Laurel, and then we stayed with our friends, the Hesselgessers, and went to a Huskie's game with them. We sat front row for both games! It was a super fun weekend.
Our last "shindig" before surgery was Lane's friend Randy's wedding. We had a good time with friends and dancing and celebrating their beautiful wedding.
Round 2 for surgery finally came. I was a nervous wreck. It was as if I was nesting because I was constantly moving and cleaning the house and going through crap and had constant nerves. I knew what I was getting myself into so I think that made it worse. Lane sat with me through prep. The wait wasn't as long this time, and luckily I was first case so it was early. All the nurses and surgeons that came in could tell I was very nervous and offered me the meds for my anxiety. I knew when they started coming in with their hair nets that it was time. I started crying and Lane squeezed my hand and gave me a kiss. I don't remember seeing as much of the OR last time as I did this time. This time I remember being wheeled in, stating my name, d.o.b., and the procedure I was having done. I remember being transferred onto the operating table and looking around the room, comparing it to Grey's Anatomy; which I had very recently watched all 12 seasons. Some of the tools freaked me out and I just wanted them to put me to sleep. They all introduced themselves, and none of them seemed nervous; which I guess was a good thing but I just kept thinking, "How are they not freaking out like me? How are they joking around? What if I die from a simple complication like on Grey's?" (I know, not a realistic comparison) Finally I remember them giving me gas, and waking up 30 min later (3.5 hours later, actually). I had told them before surgery that I got nauseous the last time, so they gave me anti nausea medicine right away. I hurt the same excruciating pain I did the last time, only with an additional pain over my bladder. UGH! The recovery room was busy. There was a grumpy smoking addict in there asking for a smoke and being pissed off at the nurses because he couldn't smoke inside.
I had to wait a bit for my room to be ready. When they rolled me in, my sweet husband was in there waiting for me. I got nauseous and threw up right when I got situated -- terrrrrible feeling with 3 incisions! I was told the surgery went great at least.
I had lots of wonderful visitors that were so thoughtful, bringing me magazines, flowers, goodies, coloring books, chapstick, face wipes, etc. Everyone treated me so well. I stayed 4 days (last time 5), and although the pain was the same and I got lightheaded, I was able to start walking and sitting quicker. I was so ready to be home with my kids. Lane was Superman, taking care of the kids and me in two separate places, bringing them to see me, stressed with work, and not losing his...err....crap.
When I got home we received so many meals, visits, goodies, Kim came and decorated my house for Fall, some friends came and deep cleaned my house, and I received so many thoughtful texts.
In October my parents were able to come help out with the kids and life. The first day my mom, who recently had knee surgery, and I, another cripple, took the kids out on a walk and Kobe was pushing Ella in the stroller. Kobe let go of the stroller when we were walking down a hill and neither of us cripples could catch her. She rolled at a long diagonal, across the street, hit the curb and tipped, leaving her a huge goose egg. We felt terrible because we were "running" in quicksand trying to catch her. She survived, and still happily rides in the stroller!
I was having chest pain for a couple days. It was a typical chest pain that I receive every once in a while-- just kind of a cramp or a strain. It usually goes away after like 10min to an hour. I started laughing at something Kobe said and it worsened so I started crying, and laughing because it was ridiculous, but crying because I was in pain and then all of the sudden I couldn't breathe. I was no longer laughing. After about 20 min of not being able to breathe normal my mom suggested I go into the ER. I didn't want to. I didn't want it to be something stupid. I didn't want more bills. I didn't want another IV. I didn't want to not spend time with my parents whom I don't get to see often. I didn't want to go back to the hospital. But I went. And I'm glad I did. They were concerned it was a pulmonary embolism. After a CT and EKG and lots and lots of pain meds they confirmed it was just a bad muscle spasm in my chest cavity. I was able to go home that night.
Kobe was always concerned about me when I'd go rest in my bed. What a sweet boy.
The kids became very attached to Daddy. I was happy their relationships strengthened but Kobe was feeling neglected by me and I felt like the kids didn't need me. I hated that part. But we're good now.
My parents did so much for us with laundry, cleaning, cooking, playing with the kids, helping me...I am forever grateful they were able to do it.
My mom thought it was hilarious that I used my stick (basically a garbage grabber) to clean up toys, pick things up, reach for things, etc. Hey! It came in handy, so go ahead and make fun of me.
Devin and Matt were amazing too and came out to help for a few days. Their time overlapped with my parents for a few hours. Matt has never been to Wenatchee so we took him to Country Boys (my family rants and raves about it).
They had some fun experiences changing diapers and childrens' clothes and doing hair.
They went above and beyond with everything...cleaning, cooking, rearranging furniture, waiting on me, playing with the kids. They made me freezer meals. I can't even touch how grateful I am for their time, love, money, patience, and fun they shared with us.
Ella gave Matt lots of kisses!
I was able to feel human for a couple hours and go out with Matt and Devin one night.
Kobe was my walking partner through my recovery months. He'd hold my hand and make sure I was okay.
I was feeling Kobe's resentment because of my lack of ability to play, discipline and nurture, so Lane suggested I take him out on a date one night. It was much needed.
Halloween was pretty low-key. I didn't put forth much effort into costumes this year but Kobe loves dinosaurs and Ella made a pretty darn cute pink elephant. We went to our old ward's trunk-or-treat, and on Halloween went to Cashmere and trick-or-treated with our friends, the Christensens.
We love leaves!
November was a lot of sitting around at home, with helpers like Noelle Edwards and Vicki who dedicated lots of time cleaning, babysitting, disciplining, and entertaining. Thanksgiving we had dinner over at Tim and Vicki's.
Our realistic family picture for Thanksgiving
Granny Ella turned 87 the next day. I think she was a fan of the cowboy calendar I got her...haha!
Miss Ella had her first dentist visit. Both kids were still cavity free!








No comments:
Post a Comment